An artificial organ may be defined as a human made device designed to replace duplicate or augment ,functionally or cosmetically a missing , diseased or otherwise incompetent part of the body , either temporarily or permanently and which requires a non-biologic material interface with the living tissue.(galleti,1995)
Manufacturing processes of artificial organs:-
- The various processes involved in the manufacturing of artificial organs involve the following:
- Tissue Engineering : this is the use of a combination of cells , engineering and materials method , and suitable biochemical and physico- chemical factors to improve or replace biological functions.
- Bio-Printing or 3D printing of tissue : bio-printing, where living cells are precisely printed in a certain pattern ,has great potential and promise for fabricating engineered living organs.
- Industrially by using biomaterials which includes metals, ceramics, polymers and composites .
- In the laboratory by using stem cells under regenerative
An artificial organs is an engineered device or tissue that is implanted or integrated into a human-interfacing with living tissue – to replace a natural organ , to duplicate or augment a specific function or functions so the patient may return to a normal life as soon as possible. The replaced functions does not have to be related to life support ,but it often is. For example , replacement bones and joints, such as those found in hip replacements ,could also be considered artificial organs.
- Providing life support to prevent imminent death while awaiting a transplant.
- Dramatically improving the patient’s ability for self care.
- Improving the patient’s ability to interact socially.
- Improving a patient quality of life through cosmetic restoration after cancer surgery or an accident.
Pros of artificial organ:-
- Artificial organs can replace diseased or damaged organs, thereby , providing the ailing patient
With an opportunity to lead a healthy and normal life.
- Artificial organs can meet the huge demand of healthy donor organs. There is a huge list of patients who are in urgent need of healthy organs but are unable to find a suitable willing donor.
- A major stumbling block in the form of organ rejection can be solved due to artificial organs are created by tacking the stem cells of the same person and of the same organ, the possibility of rejection has been reduces
- With the help of regenerative medicine or artificial organ therapy , burn victims can even have a new
Cons of artificial organs:-
- A major concern is the possible presence of the disease in the base tissue which is used to the organ. In such cases there is a possibility that the tissue is already infected by other diseases.
- The entire cost of growing and transplanting an artificial organ is prohibitive , and thus , limit the scope of its application to the general public .
- There are high chances of organs failures , and the body may even take some time to adopt to the new organs. How the body reacts to the new organs may vary from person to person . if there is a problem with the functioning of the organ, you might need to go for another transplant.
Area of applications :-
- Artificial bones.
- Artificial skin.
- Biomedical Engineering.
- Organ transplant.
- Plastic surgery.
Wearable devices in biomedical applications :-
Wearable health devices can capture more accurate and real time data related to vital signs and symptoms. It will be in trials, many organization have used headsets to measure brainwave’s and cloth’s to embed sensing devices . The use of wearable to track vitals and activity monitoring has become main stream with such as the apple I watch and the fit-bit, to name just two. The use of wearable devices for detection and prevention of diseases , although less prolific, is also quickly gaining in popularity . The advancement of the technology it self , along with trends toward home care , Tele-health and self-monitoring , are resulting in significant growth in this area . The miniaturization of sensors has played a key role in the development of wearable systems . further more, an increases in aging population and chronic diseases such as obesity , diabetes , chronic obstructive pulmonary disease , hypertension , chronic pain ,and cardiac disorders has resulted in higher demand for wearabletechnology.
Wearable devices can be embedded within smart clothing and equipment or adhered onto or inserted into the skin. Wearable devices are an effective way to manage, monitor and provide feedback on patient health as well as deliver meditation and aid in the rehabilitation process. Wearable devices act as biosensors when attached to the human body. They are able to detect and monitoring physiological data and provide drug delivery services for patients with medical condition. Wearable can monitor multiple biomarkers simultaneously and provide patients with the constant monitoring and consistent daily action require to successfully manage on going health concerns.
- The decreasing cost of processing power and other components is encroaching widespread adoption and arability.
- 3D printers are facilitating quick prototyping.
- And crowd funding platform are providing new ways to get funds.
- And hence wearable technology is on the rise in personal and business use.
- Global sales in expected to reach almost 250 million units by 2018.
- Through 2015 growth is expected to be driven by passive wearable in 2016-17, passive wearable products will likely become increasingly complex and eventually shift to autonomous products.
- As wearable electronics become main stream within the period 2015-17, prices are expected to decline in both passive and autonomous wearable.
Application area’s :-
- Transforming healthcare.
- War with wearable technology.
- Smart cycling with wearable.
- Assistive wearable for learning.
- Fashion/ textile industry.
Pros of wearable devices :-
- More immediate.
- Allows you to say better changed with your environment.
- More discrete.
- Potentially more fashionable.
Cons of wearable devices:-
- Less versatile.
- Not as widely accepted.
Without Water Mark Ready Project Buy Now Online Rs 28/- CLICK HERE
524 total views, 1 views today